Friday, October 9, 2009

Introduction to The Unheeded Prophetess

Welcome, loved ones, to my new home in the blogosphere!  You may remember me from a little site called Adventures in Divorce.... the murderous cake..... Anesidora..... all that?  No?? Good.  Because I'm starting over fresh..... well, almost fresh because I brought some of my favorite posts with me which I may break out from time to time.  I had to cut and run on AID because the energy was just..... bad.  Plus I wanted to write about other things besides baby daddy drama, dating drama, parenting drama, just.....DRAMA. I am a Cancer, and we Cancerians tend to cling to the past, so I'm being proactive and pitching all that crap. 

So, you may ask, what the heck is up with the whole "prophetess" thing?

Naw, it's not cause I'm stuck on myself or think I know everything or have some divine gift or portal into the next dimension... quite the contrary. For those of you not (extremely) well versed in Greek mythology, or for those who never watched the cartoon series Hercules (not the movie....the character I'm talking about is not in the movie), here's the scoop (from Wikipedia.org):

In Greek mythology, Cassandra ("she who entangles men") (also known as Alexandra) was a daughter of King Priam of Troy and his queen Hecuba, who captured the eye of Apollo and was granted the gift of prophecy. However, when she did not return his love, Apollo placed a curse on her so that no one would ever believe her predictions.

When Cassandra foresees the destruction of Troy (she warns the Trojans about the Trojan Horse, the death of Agamemnon, and her own demise), she is unable to do anything to forestall these events. Her family believes she is mad, and, according to some versions, kept her locked up because of this. From her appearances in various plays, it seems that the incarceration drove her truly mad, at least by the time of Troy's destruction.

Or as Dictionary.com sums it up:

Cassandra n.
  1. Greek Mythology. A daughter of Priam, the king of Troy, endowed with the gift of prophecy but fated by Apollo never to be believed. 
  2. One that utters unheeded prophecies.

So there you go. It's quite fitting, actually, because it seems like people treat me like I don't know what the hell I'm talking about an awful lot, which makes me think that maybe I'm the crazy one. (I don't know what the deal is with "entangling men". If someone can help me out with that one, I'd appreciate it.)

I'm ready to get on with this..... are you?

1 comment:

  1. 'Ello! I've been super lazy, but I'm officially following now. I loved AID, and I'm sure I'll love this here.

    Oh, and I haven't decided if entangling is a good thing or a bad thing. lol

    ReplyDelete