Thursday, October 15, 2009

"Far more complex than the words I say....."

When I'm feeling particularly distressed, I don't write. I fear that too much negativity will come spewing out into the ether, exponentially magnified by everyone who reads my words. Plus sometimes you end up saying things you wish you could take back, but they are forever memorialized in your writing.  And besides, we off that.

During times like these I turn to music to express my feelings, or to pick myself up, or to convey a message. This is my FAVORITE quote that expresses why music is so important to me: "We don't have a language, or even a linguistic eloquence, that can begin to be fully truthful to the experiences that we have the short time we are here in time and space. So therefore you need some sounds.....even some noise. Organized noise. We need silence between the notes and the sounds that get at the deeper truths of who we are....." (Ludwig von Beethoven, via Dr. Cornel West, via DJ Limelight's "Meaning of Michael".... get familiar) Music expresses what we sometimes cannot. And it goes beyond what is said in the lyrics; the music itself taps into a part of our soul that words cannot reach.

With all that said, I wanted to share this with you, loved ones. Mainstream doesn't know about this song or this group, and if you're one of the few that do and you're not already a dear friend of mine, you should be.  This is my FAVORITE song.  Period. (Though sometimes Common "Break My Heart" makes for a photo finish.) I will scream and run over you onto the dance floor when it plays. I really believe in this song, and I really want to make it a reality in my life. And that's all I'll say about that. That's all I NEED to say about that. Enjoy......

No comments:

Post a Comment