Saturday, October 17, 2009

"The magnanimous possibilities...."

"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin

"God, make me so uncomfortable that I will do the very thing I fear." ~Ruby Dee

The main impetus behind and theme of this blog is change. I've been going through a lot of change in the past 3 years, and a TON of change in the past year alone, in all aspects of my life.... career, relationships, and within myself.

I like variety, but I don't like change.... to me it's scary. I prefer predictable over chaotic. But the only thing that is constant in life is change. As we grow and develop as human beings, like babies in the womb, a butterfly in a chrysalis, or a bird in an egg, there comes a point where NOT changing becomes more painful than changing and the refusal or inability to change results in demise.

But like babies, butterflies, birds and blossoms, what emerges when we change is often something new and wonderful, and full of more possibilities than what we first started with. This is where I'm at right now. Although I'm somewhat scared about the transition process itself, I'm anticipating what lies on the other side of that transition.

I have a big change that I'm about to make soon, but I'll reveal that later, loved ones. For now, I leave you with one of my favorite poems by one of my favorite artists, Jill Scott, that inspires me and gives me hope for the future whenever I read it. Enjoy.

The What-ifs

It-is
The
What-
ifs
The magnanimous possibilities of this life
This now
This hour
This minute
The next is unknown
And that is ok!
Alright
All good
Uh-huh
Can't say what will break through
Can't say what will slide out
Knock up the world today
But I am soft and strong
Willed and passionate
My dreams are of seeing and being
More than what I am
And these dreams don't take the low podium
Now that I know
What I know
And that don't fit into sizes
Or parameters
Nothing can bar my exceptionality
Won't be wearing the silver medal
No medals at all
My muscle has grow and my back has vigor
I am ready for the unspecified
Why shouldn't I be?
It is the what-ifs my darlings
That we should gild
The magnanimous possibilities of this life
This now
This hour
This minute
The next to be unknown
And that's ok!
Oh yes!
All good
Uh-huh
Hallelujah

By Jill Scott, "The Moments, The Minutes, The Hours"

1 comment:

  1. I feel this.

    The thing about change though is we know it is inevitable. And we must not fear the inevitable because it's gonna happen whether we like it or not.

    Alot of times change is gradual. The baby starts as a embryo and over time grows to be the newborn, ya know? So it's easier to take in small doses.

    I know it's easier said than done but embrace it. Or at least try to.

    ReplyDelete